Rosenthal Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery
9868 S State Road 7 Suite 330
Boynton Beach, FL 33472
Phone: (561) 880-8866
Monday–Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
Breast Implant Illness
Information on Textured Implant Recall
On July 24, 2019, the FDA issued a voluntary recall of certain breast implants. These devices are specifically devices from manufacturer Allergan and apply to ALL of their textured devices, not just silicone due to a risk of a rare cancer called ALCL which can occur in the capsule tissue around the implant. The first sign of this is often a collection of fluid around the implant which occurs more than a year after initial surgery. This is called a “late seroma.”
The recall did not recommend immediate removal of these devices from patients. However, we understand that many women are understandably concerned. If you have any concerns about your breast implants, please come see us. We can do an ultrasound in office to see if you have a seroma.
Many women are also expressing concern about other health problems related to their implants. This is being called BII or Breast Implant Illness. This recall did not address BII. While BII is not a specific, defined diagnosis, Dr. Rosenthal believes that many women’s bodies do struggle with either the implant itself or contamination around it. There are options to remove implants and maintain a good appearance to the breasts.
- Everyone with implants more than a few years old should come in for evaluation
- Patients with textured devices should have a consultation
- Any changes to the breasts, particularly one getting suddenly larger, need to be checked
- Cancer caused by an implant is rare and it is NOT a breast cancer
- This cancer appears to only be associated with textured implants
- Many women with breast implants are complaining of health concerns and worried their implants may be involved. If this is you, come talk with us to see if removing your implants is right for you.
For the full FDA Press Release click here